Challenge: Create an Iron Will with Consistent Daily Meditation
By Leo Babauta
How often do you stick to what you plan to stick to, with 100% consistency, determination and devotion?
What would it change in your life if you developed an iron will to stick to your commitments to yourself and others?
This month, I’m challenging you to develop that iron will with a 30-day challenge. I’m calling it the Consistent Meditation Challenge: Develop an Iron Will … but it’s really not about meditation. The “iron will” part is really the key, because it will develop something in you that will have effects well beyond meditation.
But to develop that iron will, we’re going to pick a daily challenge, and I recommend two minutes of meditation every single day. Commit to this tiny habit fully, banishing any self doubts or wishy-washiness, and you’ll be developing that iron will.
Think about this: when we commit to a new habit or project or event, we’re often only really half in. We’re not fully in, playing full out. Think about any commitments you’ve made this year — did you treat them as if they were the most important thing in the world, and put yourself fully in them?
This “half in” attitude affects everything we do:
- You’re in a relationship but ready to bail when things get uncomfortable or tough.
- You say you’re going to eat healthier but that goes out the door when donuts are in the room.
- You go to yoga class (or any class really) and your mind is half on the other things you need to do today.
- You do something with your kid, or another loved one, but you’re not fully there, not fully in it.
- You say you’ll attend an event, but you don’t really want to go. Maybe you cancel, or maybe you go but you don’t show up fully.
- You are on a project, but in truth you feel it as a burden, and procrastinate, moving through it without heart or devotion.
Do any of these sound familiar? There are thousands of other variations. It’s about not showing up fully devoted, not sticking to something with incredible commitment and presence.
We’re going to change that this month, or get started in that direction.
Wherever you normally hold back, I’m asking you to lean into it, and play fully.
Wherever you’re normally half in, I’m asking you to be all in.
Wherever you normally want to put things off because they’re uncomfortable (or you’re busy), I ask you to not run but stick to your commitment with an iron will.
Sound good? You’re going to love this challenge.
Here’s how it works:
Here’s how it works:
- Make a solid commitment to doing this challenge every day for the rest of the month (no matter when you are starting). You can do that publicly on social media, or join my Sea Change Program and do it with all of us.
- Set a daily reminder to meditate every morning (or evening if you can’t do mornings, but pick only one time).
- Practice. All you have to do is sit still for two minutes a day, and meditate. Tune in to your breath, your body, your surroundings. If you already have a practice, you can do that. I’ll share a couple of choices as well. But the key is two minutes a day, minimum. You can do more if you feel moved, but don’t shoot for 20 or 30 minutes a day, just two minutes, with an option to go longer.
- Weekly check-in. Report on all of this weekly to us, if you join the Sea Change Program, or on social media (or to whomever you’ve committed).
That’s it. Make an iron-willed commitment. Be solid in your heart. Don’t question whether you’re going to do it or not, just do it.
You got this.
Join us in the Sea Change Program to do it with the rest of us!